This blog post examines different types of handgun, rifle, and shotgun ammunition. We hope this guide will serve you well whether you are a new or a seasoned shooter.
Let’s start with Handgun ammunition. Handgun ammunition, also known as pistol ammunition, is used in firearms designed to be held in one hand, such as pistols and revolvers. Here are some of the most common types of handgun ammunition:
- Full Metal Jacket (FMJ): This type of ammo is often used for target shooting or plinking and is not designed to expand on impact, making it less suitable for self-defense.
- Hollow Point (HP): Hollow point ammunition is designed to expand on impact, creating a larger wound channel and increasing the chances of stopping an attacker. It is a popular choice for self-defense due to its ability to transfer more energy to the target.
- Jacketed Soft Point (JSP): JSP ammunition is a mix of FMJ and HP, offering some expansion on impact but with a heavier bullet for more penetration. It’s a good choice for hunting or self-defense.
- Frangible: Frangible ammunition is made of metal powders compressed into a solid form. It is designed to disintegrate into tiny particles upon impact to minimize the risk of ricochet and over-penetration.
- +P and +P+: +P and +P+ ammunition ( example ) refers to rounds loaded to higher pressures than standard ammunition, resulting in increased velocity and energy. These rounds are often used for self-defense or hunting, but they can be more punishing on firearms and are not recommended for extended use.
It’s important to note that different types of handgun ammunition have other purposes and effects, and choosing the right ammo for your intended use is crucial. Popular handgun rounds include 9mm Luger ammo like Blazer Brass, 380 ACP, 45 ACP, etc.
- Full Metal Jacket (FMJ): FMJ rounds are often used for target shooting and training, as they are less likely to expand upon impact and typically have a lower cost. ( PMC Bronze has a great selection of Full Metal Jacket rounds. Target Sports USA also carries a wide variety of other manufacturers, and shipping is always free on bulk ammunition. )
- Soft Point (SP): Soft point rounds are designed to expand upon impact, creating a larger wound channel and increasing the chances of stopping an attacker. They are a popular choice for hunting and self-defense.
- Hollow Point (HP): Hollow point rounds are designed to expand upon impact, creating a larger wound channel and increasing the chances of stopping an attacker. They are a popular choice for hunting and self-defense.
- Boat-Tail (BT): Boat-tail rounds have a tapered base that reduces air resistance, increasing accuracy and reducing wind drift. They are often used for long-range shooting and target competitions.
- Ballistic Tip: Ballistic tip rounds are designed with a plastic tip intended to expand upon impact, creating a more significant wound channel and increasing the chances of stopping an attacker. They are a popular choice for hunting and self-defense.
- Armor Piercing (AP): Armor piercing rounds are designed to penetrate armor and other hard materials, making them useful in military or law enforcement applications. They are not typically used for hunting or self-defense because they can over-penetrate and pose a risk to bystanders.
- Birdshot: Birdshot is a small shot used for hunting birds and small game. The small shot size creates a wider spread, making it easier to hit moving targets.
- Buckshot: Buckshot is a larger shot size used for hunting medium-sized game, such as deer and coyotes. The larger shot size provides more stopping power and penetration.
- Slug: Slugs are solid projectiles designed for hunting big game or for use in self-defense. They offer more accuracy and penetration than buckshot, but at the cost of a reduced spread.
- Buckshot and Slug Combo: Some shotgun ammunition combines buckshot and slug in the same shell, allowing the shooter to switch between the two types of projectiles depending on the situation.
- Non-Toxic Shots: Non-toxic shots are made of materials that are not harmful to the environment or humans, making them a popular choice for hunting in areas with strict regulations.
For a wide selection of ammo, visit our website frequently.